Parks and Cemeteries Department
The Parks and Cemeteries Department is staffed with full-time employees: a Superintendent, Maintenance Foreman, Maintenance Workers. In the summer, approximately 10 seasonal employees are added to assist with maintenance of the park, ball diamonds and swimming pool operations. The Parks Department is responsible for management of over 100 acres of parks and public properties, and providing clean and well maintained facilities.
Iola's largest park with six ball diamonds, playground equipment, a sports stadium, community buildings, and swimming pool.
Two practice ball diamonds, two practice basketball courts, double tennis courts, one shelter house with a picnic area and playground area.
A picnic area and a small playground area.
Cofachique Park is the endpoint of the the Prairie Spirit Trail, which was recently designated as a Kansas State Park. A large shaded picnic area, one large shelter house, three mini shelters and a playground area.
East Iola Park
A picnic/playground park with a mini-shelter house.
Double tennis courts, and a practice ball diamond
Iola's two cemeteries came under the direction of the Park Superintendent in April of 1998 after a vote to dissolve the Cemetery Board. The old Iola Cemetery located on the west edge of town was opened in 1863, and Highland Cemetery located on the north end was opened in 1907.
Full time employees manage the grounds and take care of burial work. In the summer several part time workers help with mowing, weeding and general upkeep. In 2000, cemetery employees completed the conversion of all cemetery deeds and burial records to computer. This new system will allow genealogists and others interested in locating information about family or friends to have easy access to records and site locations
For those seeking genealogy information associated with the Iola and Highland Cemeteries, it is available at the Iola Public Library.