The Civil War Statue has stood in the West Cemetery on the edge of town since its dedication in 1909. It was erected by the Grand Army of the Republic organization to stand guard over the graves of Civil War veterans. The statue's value is great because it is one of just four white bronze, or zinc, Civil War statues in Kansas and was made by J. W. Fiske, an early 20th century sculptor whose works have been known to fetch large sums in high-profile auctions. Besides being one of the few remaining public works of the New York sculptor, the statue is signed which enhances its value. Throughout the years the statue has weathered storms, floods, and vandalism resulting in its refurbishment in recent years. U.S. 54 Highway on the west edge of town.